Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Review Triplett 1101-B Compact Digital MultiMeter with Bright

Review Triplett 1101-B Compact Digital MultiMeter with Bright

Prior to purchasing this Triplett 1101-B Digital Multimeter, I'd been using a really cheesy Micronta (Radio Shack) analog Volt/Ohm meter.

I don't have very demanding needs for a digital multimeter but figured it was about time to upgrade since I'd had the Micronta for over 35 years. Mostly I use the meter to check voltages, check ground, occasionally check resistance and now with this Triplett Multimeter, I've got a few new tricks I can pull off with it.

The one feature that ultimately made me choose the Triplett 1101-B was the included thermocouple. I'd always wanted the ability to accurately measure temperatures and with the thermocouple, apparently I will be able to do that now. I do many product reviews and if I review a coffee brewer, for instance, I'll now be able to state with relatively accuracy what the brewed temperature is of a cup of coffee. So for me, the ability to measure temperature is a fantastic feature and one I will use a lot. The temperature probe is designed for temperatures up to 300 degrees Farenheit. For temperatures higher than that you need to use a high-temperature probe which is not included.

The case of this multimeter is OK but not fantastic. I was not expecting an extraordinarily robust case and for less than $40 the case on this one probably meets my expectations. The stand however is exceedingly flimsy and I"m sure it will snap off in short order as it is -that- flimsy feeling.
The rotating dial is a stiff and not the easiest to grab hold of for larger fingers. You cannot have the meter laying on a workbench and expect to change the dial to a different position... the entire meter spins around. Again, for the price of this unit, it's probably not going to be easy to find anything else that is much better than this one.

The display is very nice. Surprisingly nice. I really liked the display. The digits are pretty large and the backlighting, when on, is good and bright with good contrast. Some el-cheapo displays have horrendous backlighting where the LED"s cast a very uneven light... not so with this one.

Included in the package are a set of leads 42" in length, with 4.5in probes. The Thermocouple is about 38" in length. You also get a set of alligator clip ends which is nice and not always included in the lower-end digital multimeters.

The multimeter is protected by a fast action fuse: 200mA/500V. It is powered by a 9 volt battery. A 3 year warranty protects your purchase.

Overall the quality of this Triplett Digital Multimeter is OK. It's a little bit better than I was expecting for the money I paid and has all the functionality that I'll ever need for household use. I'm not sure what would be any better at this price point.
Review from Mr Erb.Thanks for watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment