Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Review Homedics Px-100 Deluxe Pulse Oximeter with State-of-the-Art Optimetrix Technology


Review Homedics Px-100 Deluxe Pulse Oximeter with State-of-the-Art Optimetrix Technology

I had never used an oximeter until a recent hospital stay. While in the hospital my oxygen saturation readings were taken 4 times a day so I quickly became quite familiar with the drill. Unlike the finger tip clip that the hospital used, the Homedics Px-100 has a rubber sleeve that you insert your finger into. It fit my finger quite easily and it also fit my wife's finger which is much thinner. It seemed to be large enough that it would hold quite a large diameter finger as well.

The operation of the oximeter is simple. You simply insert your finger, hold your finger vertically, press the button on the front of the oximeter and it begins to take your reading. In my use, within 5-10 seconds at most I had an accurate pulse and oxygen saturation reading. By pushing the button again, the display rotates 180 degrees so that if someone were taking the reading for you, they'd be able to see the reading. Once you remove your finger from the oximeter it turns itself off in 10 seconds.
The oximeter uses a non-standard battery. It is a 3.6v, 1/2 AA Lithium battery rated for up to 300 hours. That's a long time and will enable you to take a lot of readings. The battery is not one that I've seen before however and you may have to search a bit before you find a retailer that stocks them... that's the bad news. The good news is that because of the 300 hour claimed lifespan of the battery, it's not something you'll have to change that frequently.

A nylon carry pouch with belt loop is included, as is a lanyard .

I've taken many readings with the oximeter and they seem to be accurate and all have been quite quick. The display is very legible and I like that the display can rotate 180 degrees. I also like that there is an indication of "signal strength"... a 5 segment LED bar graph... that let's you know that the reading you are getting is of sufficient strength to be valid.

There are a couple of negatives to this oximeter. I wish it used a more commonly available battery such as 9V, AA or AAA. I also do not care for the rubber sleeve that you must insert your finger into. Although it is relatively foolproof, it will be more difficult to clean (germs and all that). The recommended method to clean it is to use a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol.
Review from Mr Erb.Thanks for watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment